- Best practices in disaster grantmaking: Lessons from the Gulf Coast
Published by the New York Regional Association of Grantmakers in 2008, this guide describes the philanthropic responses to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita that were deemed "successful" by funders and grantees, and offers recommended practices that can be applied to future disasters.
- Creating Order From Chaos: Roles for Philanthropy in Disaster Planning and Response
A guidebook from the Jessie Ball duPont Fund that reflects on how public and private systems work, about where, when and how they intersect and about organized philanthropy’s proper role.
- Disaster Grantmaking: A Practical Guide for Foundations and Corporations
Council on Foundations' free publication suggests eight principles, plus practical tips for grantmakers to consider when responding to emergency situations.
- Disaster Preparedness: A Guide to Planning for California Community Foundations
This guide from the League of California Community Foundations is intended to serve as a resource for community foundations as they work to prepare for and respond to disaster.
- Disaster Relief - Providing assistance through charitable organizations
This publication, provided by the IRS, is for people interested in providing assistance to victims of disaster or those in emergency hardship situations through tax-exempt charities.
- In Practice: Philanthropic Grantmaking for Disasters
The Conrad Hilton Foundation report includes principles, best practices and codes of conduct for humanitarian assistance and disaster aid for private foundations.
- Legal FAQs on Disaster Grantmaking
Council on Foundations article on corporate grantmakers flexibility in response to qualified disasters.
- Natural Allies: Philanthropy and Civil Legal Aid
This guide explores how Funders and Civil Legal Aide groups can work together to increase the impact of a funder's support.
- Nonprofit Sector Research Fund
Weathering the Storm: The Role of Local Nonprofits in the Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort, is a study that looks at what foundations did in response to Katrina.
- Short Checklist for Effective Disaster Response
This checklist, developed by the Raqim Foundation and Philanthropy Now, helps organizations new to emergency response choose options for supporting disaster-effected people.
- The Tsunami Learning Project: Lessons for Grantmakers in Natural Disaster Response
This guide, published by Grantmakers Without Borders, offers new tools for grantmakers when responding to natural disasters.