A contingency of CNJG members is prepping for our annual Foundations on the Hill trip to Washington DC. We look forward to highlighting our members work with NJ’s congressional leaders and staff, educate our lawmakers on the role of philanthropy, and discuss issues of importance with them, like the upcoming Census, and a universal charitable giving incentive. Additionally, we will thank them for passing the flat-rate excise tax for foundations, and repealing the parking tax for non-profits.
This trip also marks my first anniversary of leading CNJG! It’s been a fantastic year of learning, listening, meeting new people, and re-connecting with long-time friends. I continue to meet with our members all over the state, and it’s been a pleasure getting to know the focus of your funding and to share with you what CNJG is working on.
The 2020 year is shaping up to be a very productive year for CNJG:
- Registration is open for our Spring Colloquium, and we hope you will register your staff and trustees to attend. Because the Colloquium is open to non-profits as well, feel free to invite your grantees too!
- Especially in light of the market’s high volatility, save the date for the Investment Forum for Foundations and Endowments on November 12. We are nearing completion of the agenda, and it’s going to feature some of the best minds in New Jersey on managing investments in your corpus.
- Philanthropy’s response to the coronavirus is only beginning. Join other foundations across the country on Thursday, March 5 at 2:00 pm for a webinar hosted by our friends at the Center for Disaster Philanthropy to hear about how philanthropy can respond and what the most likely needs will be.
- We will soon announce our Benefits Survey that will pair with the Council on Foundations' Salary Survey to create our highly-valued 2020 New Jersey Foundation Benefits and Salary Survey Summary Report, an update to our 2017 Summary Report. This publication, scheduled to be released in the fall, will help you benchmark the salaries and benefits you offer your staff, trustees, and retirees.
- Our Affinity Groups are scheduling programs to connect like-minded funders across the state, so make sure you check our event calendar for all our upcoming programs.
CNJG is also planning for some big changes:
- We are planning to move our office in the summer – stay tuned for more details on that.
- Finally, on a sad note, I want to send my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Patricia Foo, CNJG’s Office Manager and my Executive Assistant, who announced that she will retire at the end of May. She will be missed!
- We’ve posted the job opportunity on our website and other job boards. If you know of someone that wants to work for a dynamic organization with a great team, please send them our way!
Maria Vizcarrondo, President and CEO
Council of New Jersey Grantmakers